Santa Paula Times

Teenager arrested as suspect in weekend attempted murder

September 25, 2013
Santa Paula News

By Peggy Kelly 

Santa Paula Times  

A Santa Paula teenager suspected of being involved in attempted murder and two shots fired incidents was arrested 64 hours after the first incident was reported, the same day he turned 18 and can now be tried as an adult.

According to SPPD Sgt. Larry Johnson, Alberto Perez was arrested Monday while in a Ventura County courtroom on an unrelated charge.

The incidents began Friday, September 20 at 6:55 p.m. when SPPD Officers responded to the 1200 block of Say Road for a report of shots fired. 

Other Oaks’ residents on Cliff Drive, Roger Road and Richmond Road also reported multiple shots being exchanged between two vehicles racing through the area.

Then at about 1:35 a.m. Saturday, SPPD Officers responded to the 500 block of Sycamore Street, again for a report of shots fired. 

“No one was found to be injured during both incidents,” said Johnson, but “officers located multiple shell casings and items struck by the rounds fired.”

During the investigation of the two incidents were found to be related by SPPD Patrol Officers who, “Were able to piece together information resulting in a probable cause warrant being issued for the arrest of Alberto Perez,” and a search warrant issued for his residence located in the area of East Santa Paula and 12th streets.

Early Sunday morning, at approximately 4:50 a.m., “Less than 34 hours after the first shots fired call, officers from the Santa Paula Police Department’s SWAT Team executed a search warrant at Perez’s residence.”

Johnson said that although Perez was not initially located at the residence SPPD Detectives located evidence tying Perez to a Santa Paula criminal street gang.

Monday at 10:56 a.m., Perez appeared in a Ventura County courtroom on an unrelated probation violation. 

“While in court Perez was detained by Ventura County Sheriff’s Deputies until an officer from the Santa Paula Police Department arrived to take him into custody,” approximately 64 hours from the first shots fired call.

Perez was arrested by the SPPD and after questioning was booked into Ventura County Main Jail on suspicion of attempted homicide.

Santa Paula Police Chief Steve McLean noted that the shooting occurred on Perez’s 18th birthday, “So he can be charged as an adult for that attempted homicide.”

With four area homicides in as many months committed by suspected gang members, McLean said members of criminal street gangs should expect more visits from police.

“Within hours of the weekends shootings we had our SWAT team sitting in Perez’s living room,” said McLean. “That’s what gang members should expect from now on.”